Furry Healing

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

C'Thun, How I Love/Loathe Thee!

Another exciting night spent learning C'Thun. I really find this encounter fascinating because it relies so much on individual effort. I was remarkably late for the start of this raid due to work. Logging in to Teamspeak (TS) I hear them working on the transition from Phase One to Phase Two and then working on Phase Two, and getting the first vulnerability prior to wiping.

By the time I was needed to fill a spot in the raid (45 minutes or so after I first logged in to TS) quite a few people from the group which had started had been rotated out (mostly because they had to leave for various reasons). The effect this had on the raid was quite interesting from a people watching™ perspective and somewhat frustrating from a raiding perspective.

I'll talk about the people watching™ since its more interesting to everyone, or so I believe. The substitutes (myself included) zone in, presumably get comfortable with their groups and where they are to be positioned within it and generally get ready for the attempt just like everyone else. On the first attempt I was there for we didn't do particularly well as I recall, though we did make it to the end of Phase One we had far to few people on their feet to properly continue the fight and we were quickly over come. This I imagine was a fairly large hit to the morale of those who had already been there wiping trying to clean up Phase Two. Well now those folks were back to cleaning up Phase One with the substitutes. The next attempt went slightly better as I recall, but a poorly timed vulnerability further frustrated the people who had been there for a couple of hours already.

As is bound to happen the 'fresh' faces are now feeding on the frustration of those who have been there and no one is particularly happy with how we are doing. In summary, the vulnerability phase we got on the second attempt was the only one I saw throughout the night. I'm sure the fact is even more irritating for the people who were there from the start than it was for myself. Watching the degradation of the focus of the raid was interesting though. The third attempt I was there for went poorly in general and we were wiped without getting through Phase One. From this point forward things never really turned around for the better and it seemed as though the raid in general was simply going through the motions.

I can't imagine a more troubling thing for a raid leader to be encountered with than a situation like the one we faced tonight. From what I heard when I logged in to TS things were going reasonably well, then people have to go and the raid turns for the worse. Everyone knows the raid as a whole is capable of better, particularly the leadership, but the group can't pull it together and there isn't really anything leadership can do about it. Eventually they did what was, in my opinion, the best thing they could; we went to beat the snot out of Onyxia, and then the raid was over.

I really feel for the people who were there from the start and working on perfecting Phase Two, only to have their work reduced to rubble due to having to sub people out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment